Thursday, February 19, 2009

Late Have I Loved Thee

"Late have I loved Thee, O Beauty ever ancient, ever new, late have I loved Thee.  Thou wert within me and I looked outside; I sought Thee, and miserable as I was, I longed for creatures, I was detained by the wonderful works of Thy hands.  Thou wert with me, but I was not with Thee, though that which kept me far from Thee could exist only in Thee.  Thou hast called and cried to me in my deafness.  Thou hast shone as lightning, brilliant enough to drive away my blindness.  Thou hast scattered Thy perfume; I breathed it, and now I sigh for Thee.  I have tasted Thee, and now I hunger and thirst for Thee.  Thou hast touched me, and I burn with desire for Thy peace."

St. Augustine

1 comment:

  1. I love this passage from St.Augustine! I wish I knew him better! Thanks for posting it!

    ReplyDelete

Dear Friends - If you wish to submit a question to Father John, please see the "How can submit a question" post for guidelines. Your comments and feedback are more than welcome!